Facing criminal charges can be a scary and overwhelming situation. Finding and hiring a criminal defense attorney is essential if you or a family member faces charges. At the law offices of A. Charles Peruto Jr., you receive experienced criminal defense representation from an attorney who has proven their abilities in and out of the courtroom.
Understanding Criminal Defense Law
In New Jersey, criminal defense law encompasses the legal safeguards that protect individuals accused of criminal misconduct from unjust conviction. It ranges from representing individuals in municipal offenses such as traffic violations to defending against serious charges, including but not limited to fraud, assault, and homicide.
New Jersey has its set of laws codified in the New Jersey Statutes. While you can access the law, understanding it may be challenging. Hiring an attorney means you have someone who knows the law and how to help defend you within its parameters.
The Role of a Criminal Defense Lawyer
A criminal defense lawyer wears many hats; they represent the accused and engage in meticulous case studies and evidence analysis to build a solid defense strategy. In New Jersey, a defense attorney is expected to guide clients through the intricate New Jersey Court System while using their knowledge of the laws to help their case.
Do not wait to seek legal representation if you are facing criminal charges. Contact The Law offices of A. Charles Peruto Jr. to schedule a free and confidential case review. Call us today at 215-735-1010
Their role is pivotal in negotiating plea deals, orchestrating defenses, and potentially securing acquittals. The ultimate goal of your criminal defense lawyer is justice.
Legal Principles Governing Criminal Defense
A pivotal legal doctrine in criminal defense is the “presumption of innocence,” which dictates that every individual is considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. This principle is vigorously upheld in the New Jersey legal landscape, fostering a judicial environment where the accused receives a fair trial.
Hiring an attorney ensures your other rights are protected as well. These include the right to:
- A speedy trial
- Protection against self-incrimination
- A jury trial
If you are facing criminal charges, hiring an attorney is recommended. Along with helping to build a solid defense on your behalf, they also protect your Constitutional rights.
Types of Criminal Cases We Defend
In New Jersey, criminal defense attorneys represent many case types on the state and federal levels. Each case is unique and demands a comprehensive understanding of New Jersey laws and regulations.
Learn more about the types of criminal cases we defend here. If you are facing charges not listed here, call our office. We can discuss your case and needs to determine if our legal services fit your needs.
Under New Jersey law, individuals charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) face severe penalties, including license suspension and fines. The NJ Statute 39:4-50 governs these offenses, stipulating mandatory installation of ignition interlock devices for first-time offenders with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of 0.15% or higher.
Drug offenses include several offenses, from possession to distribution. New Jersey categorizes controlled substances into different schedules (N.J.S.A. 24:21-5 to -8). The severity of penalties depends on the schedule of the drug involved and the nature of the offense, with more serious charges carrying potential prison sentences.
Assault and Battery
Defined under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1, assault cases in New Jersey could be classified as simple or aggravated. Aggravated assault carries a more severe penalty and includes situations where a serious injury is caused or a weapon is involved.
White-collar crimes are non-violent offenses, usually involving financial deceit or theft. In New Jersey, these cases can include many violations, including embezzlement, fraud, insider trading, and more, often guided by federal statutes and investigated by federal agencies like the FBI and SEC.
Firearms and Weapons Charges
If firearms or weapons are involved, individuals could face charges for unlawful possession or sale of firearms, guided by a series of laws, including the Gun Control Act of 1968. In New Jersey, gun laws are stringent, with N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5 delineating the unlawful possession of weapons, including firearms, with serious repercussions for violations.
Healthcare fraud is a serious federal offense, including fraud against healthcare programs like Medicare and Medicaid. It often involves billing for services not rendered or filing false claims. A conviction may result in serious consequences like hefty fines and prison time.
In certain circumstances, a case might straddle both state and federal courts, demanding a criminal defense attorney adept at maneuvering both realms’ intricacies. Such cases might involve complex criminal networks, interstate criminal activities, or high-profile criminal offenses, with laws from the New Jersey statutes and federal law coming into play.
How Our Law Firm Can Assist with Your Criminal Defense in New Jersey
You have the right to legal representation when you are charged with a crime. You should take this seriously, as criminal charges have serious consequences if convicted.
Our law firm is ready to leverage its knowledge of New Jersey-specific legislations and court rulings to safeguard your rights and craft a strong defense strategy tailored to your circumstances.
- Personalized Defense Strategies: Tailoring unique defense strategies that align with your case’s specific circumstances and nuances, leveraging deep knowledge of New Jersey laws.
- Pre-Trial Support and Counsel: Offering guidance through the early stages of your case, including bail hearings, arraignment, and plea negotiations, ensuring your rights are protected at each step.
- Expertise in New Jersey Specific Laws: Utilizing a deep understanding of New Jersey’s specific legislations and court precedents to build a formidable defense strategy rooted in local legal expertise.
- Comprehensive Investigation: Conducting meticulous investigations to gather crucial evidence, witness testimonials, and expert reports to fortify your defense.
- Representation in Plea Bargain Negotiations: Expertly negotiating plea bargains with the prosecution to potentially reduce your charges, leveraging a network of relationships within the New Jersey legal community.
- Jury Trial Preparation and Representation: Preparing and representing you robustly in jury trials, showcasing a compelling narrative grounded in facts and backed by persuasive legal arguments.
- Post-Trial Assistance: Offering post-trial assistance, including appeals, expungements, and probation matters, committed to supporting you beyond the trial phase.
- Preemptive Consultation and Risk Management: Providing preemptive consultations to assess potential legal risks and advise on the best courses of action to mitigate legal repercussions.
- 24/7 Accessibility and Support: Ensuring a line of communication is always open, offering you round-the-clock support and guidance throughout the legal process.
- Collaborative Approach with Specialists: Working collaboratively with a network of specialists, including forensic experts, private investigators, and psychiatric experts, to build a multi-faceted defense strategy.
Contact Our Office to Schedule a Confidential Consultation
Contact our law firm today if you have been charged with a crime or believe you will be. Our legal professionals will provide you with the aggressive representation you need to fight against the charges you are facing.
With years of experience helping those facing criminal charges, you can count on us to provide knowledgeable services and develop a custom defense strategy based on your situation and needs.